Tis the season for pumpkin and pumpkin spice! This cake mix pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting is sure to please. Sometimes you just need things to be easy. Sometimes you just need a no-fail, deliciously moist cake everyone loves. THIS is the CAKE!
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
Now normally, I usually take the LONG way around and have to make my cakes from scratch. This is because I’m (mostly) gluten-free and typically use various combinations of gluten-free flours, such as rice flour, coconut flour or 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour. However, every now and then ~ I CHEAT (gasp)!!! Yes, in my weak moments, if there is something that is going to get me to cheat…it’s CAKE. I’m a busy mom often short on time and I’m sure this recipe using cake mix will appeal to many people. And that is why I’m sharing it with you today.
This is definitely the season to be thankful. It’s the time of year we North Americans go crazy over pumpkins and pumpkin spice. This cake fits right in with that theme and I love it! I do consider myself lucky. And I’m thankful that I can tolerate a small amount of gluten every now and then (unlike many other people with Celiac disease, which is of course no joking matter). In fact, I’m willing to bet money on it…that if you use a mix like Namaste Foods, Gluten Free Spice Cake Mix, this recipe will still turn out for you! I will be doing that next time around. The trick is to check the amount of oil requested in the mix directions and add one additional egg than suggested. The pumpkin adds additional moisture, so there is no need to add water. The batter should look thick, but smooth and still pour out easily. If it’s not, fold in a small amount of water a little at a time.
I just happened to have this Betty Crocker Supermoist Spice Cake Mix in the cupboard and went full tilt forward. I don’t think it matters so much what brand you use. If you prefer Duncan Hines…by all means, use that. The “cake mix” pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting was devoured quickly. I’m sure the family will be asking for this cake again soon. It was perfect with a nice cup of tea. It also makes a great dessert to bring to a potluck or party. In fact, I recently bought this new Wilton Perfect Results 13×9 Covered Cake Pan and it came with a handy top for transporting or storing the cake in the fridge. Can’t get an easier than that!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Leave me a comment below and let me know what you think.
Cake mix pumpkin spice cake with cream cheese frosting
Easy cake mix pumpkin spice cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. Sometimes you just need things to be easy. Sometimes you just need a no-fail, deliciously moist cake everyone loves. THIS is the cake!
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup neutral salad oil ((vegetable oil))
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling) ((about 1 1/2 cups pumpkin))
- 4 large eggs
Cream cheese frosting
- 2 8 oz packages cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted (confectioner’s sugar))
- Place the oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 13 x 9 cake pan well.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the wet ingredients (oil, pumpkin and eggs) until they are well incorporated. Slowly add the spice cake mix into the wet ingredients.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer and beat the cake batter for 2 minutes on medium-high speed until everything is smooth and well incorporated. Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the a cake tester comes out clean from the middle of the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting.
Cream cheese frosting
- Sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps. Using a hand mixer, cream the butter, cream cheese and vanilla until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and mix until well incorporated. Frost on a cooled cake.
I hope you like this recipe. Come back and leave a comment about your experience making this recipe at https://northwestspoon.com
Sign up for my email newsletter for more great recipes at https://northwestspoon.com