This creamy avocado dressing is a new favorite of mine. In fact, I may be just a wee bit avocado obsessed! Salads certainly don’t have to be boring. And this dressing helps take a salad with grilled chicken from ordinary to avocado-may-zing! Creamy avocado dressing is simple, fresh and healthy. It also makes a delicious and simple dip for vegetables or a wonderful topping for fish tacos.
It’s super easy to make this creamy avocado dressing. I use a large ripe Haas avocado. Simply combine all the dressing ingredients into a food processor or blender. Blend until it is smooth. If it’s too thick add a little water (one tablespoon at a time) until it is thinned to the consistency you prefer. ) I prefer the dressing rather on the thick side. You can also swap out the lemon and use limes if you prefer.
According to Medical News Today, “avocados are a naturally nutrient-dense food and contain nearly 20 vitamins and minerals.” That’s allot of nutrient power in one little fruit. Most of the calories in an avocado come from fat rather than sugars. But, don’t despair. It is a healthy fat that not only helps you feel full, but is essential for developing healthy cells in the body.
I start this salad by marinating chicken breasts in a little olive oil, cilantro, garlic, lemon and salt and pepper. Let the chicken marinate for at least an hour in the fridge while you prepare the dressing. Next, prepare your salad greens. You can use any type of salad greens and veggies you prefer in the salad. This particular salad pictured had mixed baby greens, cucumbers, grated carrots, sliced mushrooms, radishes, scallions, cilantro and broken corn tortilla chips on top for additional crunch. It’s what I had in the fridge and it worked out great. Finally, grill the chicken, slice and serve along with the salad. It’s a healthy meal loaded with vitamins and protein.
I am absolutely in love with this creamy avocado dressing. It’s homemade flavor is so much better than any bottled store bought dressing. Plus there are no artificial preservatives or additives to upset sensitive tummies. The avocados pair perfectly with the cilantro, citrus, cumin and garlic. Are you an avocado lover too? Leave me a comment below and let me know.
If you make any of my recipes, use #northwestspoon and share your photo.
Creamy avocado dressing
Creamy avocado dressing is simple, fresh and healthy. It also makes a delicious and simple dip for vegetables or a wonderful topping for fish tacos.
- 1 large Haas avocado
- 1 juice of a lemon (or lime)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (chopped)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 small to medium sized garlic clove
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 2 tbsp lemon (or lime)
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- mixed baby greens (amount to taste)
- 1 cucumber (sliced to taste)
- 1 grated carrot
- 5 mushrooms (sliced to taste)
- 3 radishes (sliced to taste)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (chopped)
- corn tortilla chips (broken to taste)
- Combine all the ingredients into a blender or food processor.
- Blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender or food processor. Pulse a couple more times. Add additional water one tablespoon at a time as necessary until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Wash and prepare your salad greens. You can use any type of salad greens and veggies you prefer in the salad. Adjust amounts and quantities suggested above to your taste.
- Use a zip lock bag or glass bowl. Combine the marinade ingredients, add the chicken and marinate it for at least an hour in the fridge while you prepare the dressing.
- Grill the chicken. Once cooked through, let it rest a few minutes before slicing. Serve along with the salad.
For vegan alternative, simply leave out the sour cream for the dressing. Use alternative source of protein to taste in the salad.
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a comment about your experience and how you liked it at northwestspoon.com/creamy-avocado-dressing