Gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake is one of my absolute favorite cakes. It’s super easy to make too! This kind of cake is also sometimes called “self-frosting” chocolate zucchini cake because of the delicious topping that bakes right into the top of the cake.
This chocolate zucchini cake is so light, moist and delicious everyone in your family will be begging for more. The reason it is so light and moist is the combination of using a quality gluten-free all-purpose flour mix and zucchini. It may sound a little strange putting zucchini into a cake, but don’t worry. The zucchini sneakily disappears and does it’s job keeping everything moist and delicious.
If you have zucchini’s left over from your summer garden bounty, now is a good time to shred them up. I peel the zucchini first, then grate it. Save two cups at a time in food-saver or freezer bags and pull them out to defrost during the winter when you feel like some delicious chocolate cake.
This recipe is perfect for back-to-school meetings and upcoming Thanksgiving gatherings. The topping of chocolate chips, walnuts and brown sugar adds just the right touch of additional sweetness without the need for a traditional frosting. If nuts are an issue, just leave them out and add in a few more chocolate chips of your choice. Feel free to mix them up. I’ve used milk chocolate and dark chocolate chips with great success. You can also use a mix of butterscotch chips and chocolate for a different twist.
Zucchini contains high levels of vitamins A, C, and good amounts of potassium and folate which means it’s good for your heart and health.
If you’re going to eat cake, this is a good way to add in a few extra vitamins. This chocolate zucchini cake is a family favorite and easy to make. Give a try. I bet you never thought gluten-free could taste so good.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
Essentials for this recipe:
Gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake
Heavenly, moist and delicious, this gluten-free chocolate zucchini cake will have your family asking for more!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened, plus more for greasing)
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour milk (see notes below)
- 2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour mix
- 4 tbsp cocao (use gluten-free cocao)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups zucchini (peeled and grated)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (use gluten-free chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Move the oven rack to the lower 3/4 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Using a mixer, combine the butter and the sugar and mix until creamy. On low speed, incorporate the following ingredients one at a time: oil, eggs, vanilla and sour milk.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients mixing just until it is incorporated. Finally, add the grated zucchini. Transfer the batter to a greased 9 x 13 baking dish and spread out the batter.
- In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients (chocolate chips, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 cup chopped walnuts). Evenly distribute the topping over the cake batter.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
Join our email newsletter for more great recipes delivered right to your inbox.
Use a vegetable peeler to peel the skin from the zucchini, then grate it.
To “sour” milk, add 2 tsp of white vinegar to 1% or whole milk.
Use a 9 X 13 greased baking dish.
For best results, I recommend using Namaste Foods Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend