Make your own gluten-free snack mix for a healthy pick-me-up and energy boost. This snack mix is full of flavor and texture. It will get you going when you hit the trail.
Wednesday, August 31st is National Trail Mix Day. Making your own trail mix is super easy and if your family loves snacking, it can be more economical too. My family loves a great trail mix. This particular snack mix is gluten-free and packed with flavor. I love a snack mix with a salty, savory and sweet combination.
This snack mix is great for when you’re out being active. It also makes a great snack during football season ~ especially when you’re in the mood for something a little different. It has plenty of seasonings that are savory and a little spicy. Go Hawks!
This mix has two grains (cheerios and cheddar popcorn), two nuts (almonds and pistachios), two dried fruits (pineapple and cherries) and one candy (original milk chocolate m&m’s). It has all the components of a high energy trail mix.
I chose dried pineapple and cherries in this mix because I like the sweet and tart flavors. If you can’t find dried cherries, Craisins work great too. I prefer the cheesy cheddar popcorn with this mix. It pairs well with the garlic, onion and paprika seasonings. But, you could substitute plain popcorn if you prefer.
A good source for nuts, dried fruit and candies is the bulk food section of your local grocery store or the recommended links below.
You might be thinking – wait, what? Cheerios, gluten-free? Yes! Cheerios are made from oats, which are naturally gluten-free. Cheerios are now manufactured and packaged to remain gluten-free. Yay! We can enjoy that childhood favorite again.
Ok, Let’s get snacking!
**Note! If being gluten-free is a concern to you, please read the packaging of all the ingredients you purchase separately to ensure they are allergy and contaminate free. Not all M&Ms are gluten-free. I used the milk chocolate original M&Ms.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
What you’ll need:
Handy tools include:
Gluten free snack mix
This gluten-free snack mix is packed with flavor. It’s salty, savory, sweet and just a little spicy. Snack on!
- 2 1/2 cups Cheerio’s
- 1 1/2 cups plain whole almonds
- 1 1/2 cups pistachios (shelled, roasted and salted)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 cups white cheddar popcorn (Smart Food gluten-free cheddar popcorn)
- 1 cup dried cherries (rough chopped or Craisins)
- 1 cup dried pineapple (tidbits or bite sized pieces)
- 1 cup milk chocolate m&ms
- Preheat the oven to 250 F.
- Combine the Cheerios, almonds and pistachios on a large baking sheet and set aside.
- Melt the butter and add the Worcestershire sauce to it. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, sea salt and cayenne.
- Pour the melted butter mixture over the Cheerios, almonds and pistachios. Stir to coat the mixture well. Next, sprinkle the dry seasonings over it stirring to evenly coat it.
- Bake in the oven for one hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Let the mixture completely cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooled mixture with the remaining dry ingredients (cheddar popcorn, dried fruit and M&M’s.)
- Store the snack mix in an air-tight container.