Use your electric pressure cooker to whip up this family favorite. Instant Pot BBQ chicken sliders are a quick meal any day of the week. Serve with classic coleslaw and sweet bread and butter pickles.
This post may contain affiliate links. See policy for more information.
I like to use Sweet Baby Ray’s Barbecue Sauce for our BBQ chicken sliders. It’s sweet and tangy without allot of spice. I suggest using a BBQ sauce that you love as it will be one of the most predominant flavors. If you’re up to making a delicious home made BBQ sauce, try my Bourbon Infused BBQ Sauce recipe. It’s a little sweet and a little sassy, but a delicious all-purpose BBQ sauce.
I use my Breville the Fast-Slow Pro Multi-Function Pressure/Slow Cooker (electric pressure cooker) to cook up chicken all the time. It’s a fast and easy way to get shredded chicken for any number of recipes you might make throughout the week. I prefer to use boneless skinless chicken thighs for this BBQ chicken slider recipe. Chicken thighs add allot of flavor to the dish and the meat is super tender. That’s the main reason I prefer it. However, you can use boneless skinless chicken breast meat if you prefer. I have suggested cooking times in the notes section of the recipe card for this.
This Instant Pot BBQ chicken slider recipe will feed four to six people easily. You should have enough shredded meat for about two sliders per person. Serve it with a side salad and it’s a perfect family meal. This recipe pairs well with so many side dishes. I usually serve it with classic coleslaw to put on top of the sandwiches. Here are a few other salads to consider serving on the side: Northwest potato salad (a classic), Tuscan farro salad (a light and healthy alternative to traditional potato salad), Watermelon salad (an easy, cool fruit salad).
I keep the seasoning in this recipe fairly simple. The chicken is seasoned with salt, pepper, onions, garlic, poultry seasoning and dried thyme. No fancy ingredients. Just simple and delicious. You should have everything already in your pantry. You may notice instead of cooking the chicken on high-pressure, I use medium-pressure. Many other recipes will tell you to make it on high-pressure for a slightly shorter period of time. I use medium-pressure because I find there is less chance of the sauce burning and the chicken seems to come out far more tender. I just find the extra few minutes of cook time on medium-pressure to be far worth it for extra flavor and tender texture.
Thinking of buying an electric pressure cooker? I like my Breville the Fast-Slow Pro Multi-Function Pressure/Slow Cooker or you can go with the famous Instant Pot Ultra. The reason I like my Breville is that it has a non-stick coating and it’s very sleek.
I hope you enjoy this Instant Pot BBQ chicken slider recipe. Leave me a comment below!
If you make any of my recipes, use #northwestspoon and share your photo.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sliders
Use your electric pressure cooker to whip up this family favorite. It’s a quick meal any day of the week. Serve with coleslaw and sweet pickles.
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Half a medium-sized onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chicken broth or water
- 1 bottle (18 oz) of BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 12 slider buns
- Trim excess fat from the chicken thighs. Lay the thighs out flat on a platter. Season both sides of the meat with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning pressing the seasoning into the meat.
- Turn on the Instant Pot to sauté function for 8 minutes. Heat the extra virgin olive oil through and sauté the onions and garlic until they soften and become translucent.
- Add the chicken broth (or water). Nestle the seasoned chicken thighs in the pot. Sprinkle with dried thyme and cover them with BBQ sauce.
- Seal the pressure cooker. Set it to medium pressure for 25 minutes. Allow the steam to release naturally for 8 – 10 minutes. Release remaining steam carefully before opening.
- Remove the thighs to a casserole dish and shred the meat with two forks.
- Set the pressure cooker to sauté for 8 minutes. Reduce the liquid stirring frequently until it begins to thicken. Ladle the sauce onto the shredded chicken mixing it in. Add as much sauce as you desire. Serve on slider buns.