Aloha! I can use a little taste of Hawaii anytime of year. Summer is the perfect time to get out the grill and this recipe will transport you away to memories of Hawaii and tropical breezes. Serve with rice and fresh fruit or fresh grilled pineapple on the side. I used beef chuck short ribs, which I then sliced into thin pieces. This cut of meat worked just fine and was what I could find most easily. Many other similar recipes call for short ribs or thin strips of beef. Either will work fine. If you’re gluten free, make sure to use a gluten free soy sauce. Serves about 4 people.Ingredients
2-3 lbs beef chuck short ribs, sliced into thinner pieces
¾ cup soy sauce
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup pineapple juice (or one small can of pineapple juice and chunks of pineapple)
½ cup fresh pineapple chunks
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger
1 medium sized garlic clove, crushed
1 tbsp sesame oil (if you don’t have sesame oil, you can also use a vegetable oil)
Combine all ingredients into a large bowl or pot. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate the ribs for at least 4 hours. Turn and mix the meat in the bowl at least one time half way through.
Grill until your preferred level of doneness.
Maui Kalbi Ribs
Aloha! Need a little taste of Hawaii? These easy to make ribs will transport you away. You’ll need to marinate the ribs for at least 4 hours. Then simply grill to your preferred level of doneness.
- 2-3 lbs beef chuck short ribs (sliced into thinner pieces or use thin strips short ribs)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce (if gluten free, use gluten free soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (or one small can pineapple, juice and chunks)
- 1/2 cup fresh pineapple (cut into chunks)
- 2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 medium sized garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (or you can use a vegetable oil if you prefer)
- Combine all ingredients into a large bowl or pot. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate the ribs for at least 4 hours. Turn and mix the meat in the bowl at least one time half way through marinating time.
Remove the beef from the marinade and grill until your preferred doneness.