This old fashioned banana cream pie is a decadent cold and creamy treat on a warm summer’s day. Billowy layers of banana, vanilla and cream come together on a graham cracker crust. It’s a delicious classic for a family picnic or BBQ. Start the diet tomorrow and dig right in. After all, you only live once.
Old fashioned banana cream pie never goes out of style. The addition of fresh slices of banana throughout the pie really amp up the banana flavor and texture. If you’d like to make this pie gluten free, order gluten free graham cracker crumbs online. These can be rather difficult to find in grocery stores, so I recommend just ordering them online. Simply sub out regular graham cracker crumbs with the gluten free and follow the same directions.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
Gluten free? Try:
This old fashioned banana cream pie recipe makes me think of fourth of July parties and backyard BBQs. It’s a great way to end a party with lasting memories. There is something very nostalgic about cold summer cream pies. Imagine this…you’re sitting on the porch swing, listening to the birds singing on a warm summer evening. You’re sipping ice cold ice tea. There’s condensation dripping down the sides of the glass. And you take that first bite of pie. Banana, cream and vanilla. Cold and creamy. So delicious and perfect together. You feel like you cold eat that whole pie! But, nope. You’ll settle for just one decadent slice. You know it was worth it.
A part of you is thinking…oh my, but that’s still allot of calories. Yes, but…it’s a summer treat. And if you’re like me and eat well most of the time… one (ok let’s be honest…maybe two) slices of this amazing pie isn’t going to kill you. It will bring you GREAT joy. And your family will have fond memories of that amazing pie you had at your family BBQ. Memories like these are worth it…both old and new. So go for it.
If you make any of my recipes, use #northwestspoon and share your photo.
I’d love to hear what you think of this old fashioned banana cream pie recipe. Leave me your thoughts and taste test results below.
Happy cooking and happy fourth of July!
Old fashioned banana cream pieCourse: Desserts, Holiday favoritesCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This old fashioned banana cream pie is a decadent cold and creamy treat on a warm summer’s day. Billowy layers of banana, vanilla and cream come together on a graham cracker crust.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup melted butter
1 tbsp sugar
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
6 tbsp confectioner’s sugar
1 cup cold whole or 2% milk
1 3.4 ounce package instant vanilla pudding mix
3 medium firm bananas, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. In a large bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Press the mixture gently into an 8 – 9 inch pie plate using the back of a large spoon. Bake the crust for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, whip the heavy cream and confectioner’s sugar using an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the milk and pudding mix together for two minutes until the mixture is thick. Gently fold in 3/4 cup of the whipped cream topping into the pudding mixture. Set aside the remaining whipped cream for decoration.
- Layer the pie crust with banana slices from two bananas. Reserve slices from one banana for decoration. Next, layer the pudding mixture on top of the bananas.
- Finally, top the pie with the remaining whipped cream and garnish with the last banana. You can use a piping bag fitted with a large star tip for the whipped cream or simply spoon billowy dollops on top.
- Did you try this recipe? I’d love to hear about your experience. Please leave me a comment on this recipe’s blog page. Also, subscribe to my email newsletter. No spam, just great recipes. https://northwestspoon.com