This family favorite is rich, creamy and cheesy. Your kids will love orecchiette pasta with homemade creamy Alfredo sauce. It’s restaurant quality pasta at home.
My oh my…this is a family favorite and one kids get excited about. This homemade creamy Alfredo sauce is super easy to make. It’s rich, creamy, cheesy and delicious. My kids love their Alfredo sauce with orecchiette pasta. However, if you want to use another type of pasta such as fettuccine or linguine you most certainly can.
Orecchiette literally translates to “little ears.” Its small cup-like shape, grasps the sauce nicely. My family was introduced to orecchiette pasta in Puglia (Apulia).
Puglia is in the “heel” of Italy’s boot. This beautiful area of Southern Italy is known for gorgeous beaches, sparkling blue water, quaint towns and Trulli houses. And while orecchiette pasta is more traditionally served with a tomato-based sauce, I’ve decided to change traditions up a bit today.
Taking time for family and sharing a meal together is very important. My kids enjoy making this meal with me. They each have a role to play in measuring the ingredients or stirring the sauce. I think adding the Parmesan cheese is their favorite part. This Alfredo sauce will pair nicely with a variety of pastas. Use your favorite if you cannot find orecchiette. And because this sauce is very rich, it’s considered a special treat.
Tips for this recipe:
- If you find the sauce is becoming too thick too fast, add a little pasta water to thin it out. Add a small amount at a time.
- Use garlic sparingly, otherwise it will be overpowering. Garlic should be cooked on medium until it sizzles. If it turns brown (too hot, too fast), it will spoil the dish. At this point, the flavor turns bitter. So, it must be watched carefully.
- Always finalize the cooking of pasta in the sauce. This infuses the pasta with additional flavor.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
Essential items for this recipe:
I think your family will love this pasta dish. Leave me a comment below about your experience with it.
Orecchiette with creamy Alfredo sauceCourse: Kid’s favorites, PastaCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
This family favorite is rich, creamy and cheesy. Your kids will love orecchiette pasta with homemade creamy Alfredo sauce.
1 box pasta (nearly cooked through al dente)
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 medium-sized garlic clove (crushed and finely minced)
2 cups heavy cream (or half and half)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
1/4 tsp white pepper
1 tbsp fresh Italian parsley (minced, if desired)
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions shy of about 3 minutes cooking time. In the meantime, prepare the sauce.
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until it begins to soften.
- Add the cream, cheese and pepper. Simmer and stir for a couple minutes until it begins to thicken.
- Add the cooked al dente pasta to the sauce and continue to simmer for two minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Italian parsley if desired and any additional Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Recipe courtesy of https://northwestspoon.com For more great recipes, join our email mailing list.
- Essentials: Orecchiette pasta Heavy Whipping Cream Cheese grater Large skillet
- Variations: Add 1/4 cup of frozen peas and 1/2 – 3/4 cup cooked chicken to the sauce as it simmers. Use different pastas: Fettuccine or Penne suggested.