Overnight apple cinnamon coffee cake combines the classic flavors of sweet apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. This coffee cake is way easier to make than cinnamon rolls and tastes just as great.
Hosting family or friends this holiday season? Make your morning easier with this delicious overnight apple cinnamon coffee cake. It’s perfect with a cup of tea or coffee. And the kids will love it too! Top it with fresh whipped cream for a lovely, indulgent treat.
Just imagine…it’s early in the morning, the amazing smell of apples and cinnamon begin wafting through the crisp morning air. Your guests stumble into the kitchen expecting to find you all ruffled, flour in your hair and the kitchen a mess. But nope! All they find is this amazing overnight apple cinnamon apple cake waiting for them. And you happily enjoying your morning coffee or tea.
I stumbled on this overnight coffee cake idea when I was browsing through an old dog-eared church recipe book called “Great Temptations.” In addition to changing the recipe to make it gluten free, I also adapted the recipe by adding fresh pieces of apples, walnuts and spices. You can make this recipe with gluten-free all purpose flour or regular all-purpose flour ~ your choice.
You can use any kind of apples for this overnight cinnamon apple coffee cake recipe. I used these delicious Washington honey crisp apples. Yum!
What I really love about this overnight apple cinnamon coffee cake recipe is how perfect it is for holidays. It makes a great accompaniment to a holiday breakfast buffet. Or bring it to a potluck function. You do most of the work the night before, then finish it off the next morning before you leave. I used to really enjoy waking up to cinnamon rolls Christmas morning (as many people do.) But now that I’m gluten-free, I need an easy substitute. This overnight apple cinnamon coffee cake fits the bill! It’s just as delicious and way easier.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
So tasty, so easy.
Tell me your thoughts on this recipe in the comments.
Overnight apple cinnamon coffee cake
Way easier than cinnamon rolls, but just as tasty! Wake up to this delicious overnight apple cinnamon coffee cake. Perfect for the holidays.
- 2 medium apples
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or all purpose gluten-free flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Peel and core the apples. Cut the apple into small bite-sized pieces. Squeeze lemon juice over the apple pieces, toss to coat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg) and set aside.
- Use a stand mixer or electric hand mixer. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, then the sour cream. Mix together well.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet and mix until blended. Do not overwork the batter. It will be thick. Fold in the apples. Pour the batter into a well-greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan and gently spread it out.
- In a separate bowl, combine the topping ingredients (brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon). Sprinkle the topping mixture over the cake batter. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean in the middle.
You can use any kind of apples you like. For added tartness, use a green apple. I like honey crisp apples. You can also use pears. For gluten-free adaptation, I recommend the following: Namaste Foods – Gluten Free Perfect Flour Blend Did you like this recipe? Come back and leave me a comment. I love to hear from you. This recipe is courtesy of northwestspoon.com Sign-up for my email newsletter to receive more family-friendly and healthy recipes delivered right to your inbox.