In the mood for something different for an appetizer or feeding your football fans? These wings are perfect for a game day snack. They’re tangy, sweet and SPICY. Kick back with a cold beer, many napkins and watch these disappear. They are made with a special ingredient – a tangy, savory ketchup made here in the Northwest.
I discovered this sweet, spicy and tangy ketchup at my local farmer’s market ~ Bear’s Breath Ketchup. I’m immediately taken in by sweet and spicy but the fact that this ketchup can be used for much more than simply dipping your french fries in really intrigued me.
Bear’s Breath Ketchup is “ketchup for the bold,” which means it’s not your ordinary ketchup. Handcrafted in Seattle, this ketchup is savory and low in sugar.
I love the farmer’s market for discovering new and local products. You can buy Bear’s Breath Ketchup direct online at Bearsbreath.com or from fine retailers and restaurants throughout the Seattle area. A list of locations is available here.
There are many great things you can do with this tangy ketchup – including simply giving your hamburger a little ZIP.
I’ll definitely be thinking up more delicious recipes for this ketchup because I’m feeling a little bold and a little mischievous. So, check back for more ideas.
In the meantime, let’s get your Seahawks fans into “BEAST-MODE” with these zippy and tangy wings. Go Hawks!
Spicy chicken wings
These wings are perfect for a game day snack. They’re tangy, sweet and spicy. Kick back with a cold beer and watch these disappear. These are “wet” wings, so serve with lots of napkins and a cold beverage.
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken wings (cut and trimmed)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 2 – 3 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 – 1 1/2 tbsp fresh jalapeno (finely diced)
- 1/2 cup Bear’s Breath Ketchup (or other sweet and spicy ketchup)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Cover a baking sheet with foil and lightly spray it with cooking spray. Cut and trim the chicken wings and lay them out on the baking sheet. Do not crowd the pan.
- Sprinkle the chicken wings with the garlic powder, sea salt and ground pepper. Place the liquid honey in a small bowl and set aside. Add the sauce ingredients into a large heat proof bowl and set aside.
- Place the wings into the oven. At about 8 minutes, remove them from the oven and brush them generously with honey. Place them back into the oven and cook for another 8 – 9 minutes. Remove them from the oven. With tongs, turn over wings and brush the other side with honey. Place them back in the oven and cook for another 12 – 15 minutes or until they are a light golden brown and cooked through.
- Add the cooked wings to the sauce and toss to coat. Plate and serve immediately.
Go to http://www.bearsbreath.com for a list of locations to buy Bear’s Breath Ketchup