Sweet and spicy chili con carne is an easy dish to warm up with. Serve with a mixed green salad or corn bread and you have a hearty meal.
Sweet and spicy chili con carne is perfect for game day or cold winter nights. Warm up with this sweet and spicy chili con carne. I love to serve it with a mixed green salad or corn bread for a full meal.
I usually make this chili on the stove-top. It comes together quite quickly within 30 – 35 minutes. But, it can also be cooked in a slow-cooker. If you use a slow cooker, first saute the onion in the butter in a skillet. Then brown the ground beef. Then add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours. This is a great option for a busy weekend if you have to run out and do a few errands while your dinner cooks.
Perfect for game day or cold winter nights – warm up with this sweet and spicy chili con carne. Serve with a mixed green salad or corn bread and you have a hearty meal.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 lb ground beef ((lean ground beef is best))
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can tomato soup ((10 oz))
- 1 can organic whole tomatoes ((break up the tomatoes with a fork, 14.5 oz))
- 1 can kidney beans (rinsed)
- 1 can country-style baked beans ((liquid included, Bush’s 16 oz))
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese for garnish
- On medium-high heat, melt butter in a sauce pan. Add onion and cook a few minutes until it softens. Add the beef and brown slightly.
- Break up the whole tomatoes with a fork and reserve the liquid. Rinse the kidney beans in a strainer and set aside. Add seasonings, tomato soup, canned tomatoes, kidney beans, baked beans and frozen corn kernels. Include the liquid from the can of country-style baked beans.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook slowly for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.