I love a great Italian deli sandwich. You can make this ultimate Italian sub sandwich easily at home. A soft hoagie bun is filled with Genoa salami, prosciutto, mortadella, pitted kalamata olives, roasted peppers, smoky provolone cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil and arugula. When served with pickled peperoncini on the side, it’s fantastic!
My version of an ultimate Italian sub sandwich is inspired by my experiences with these amazing deli sandwiches I had while living in Southern Italy. There was always this amazing mix of artisan deli meats in the sandwich. The meat was complimented by roasted red and yellow peppers in extra virgin olive oil and arugula as the choice of lettuce. Arugula has a peppery and almost bitter like quality to it. It’s flavorful and brings a great texture to the sandwich that regular ice burg lettuce doesn’t have.
The ultimate Italian sub sandwich is quite versatile. My family will eat these up for a big hearty lunch. Or you can cut them into smaller portions and serve them up on a platter for appetizers or as a buffet item. The best part about this Italian sub sandwich is all the layers. Each layer offers a new flavor and texture that all marries perfectly together.
What you’ll need for the ultimate Italian sub sandwich
You can find everything you need for this Italian sub sandwich at your local Northwest grocery store.
- 6 inch hoagie buns
- Genoa salami
- Mortadella (similar to bologna)
- Sliced provolone cheese
- Fresh basil
- Roasted peppers in extra virgin olive oil
- Pitted kalamata olives
- Red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- A hearty appetite
You will be able to find Genoa salami, prosciutto, mortadella (which is similar to bologna) and sliced provolone cheese at the deli counter. Hoagie buns are the perfect sub sandwich bun. They are usually in the bakery section of your grocer. The other items aside from the tomatoes, basil and arugula can be found in the condiment isle. I have some product recommendations below for you.
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for more information.
- Cento red and yellow roasted peppers in extra virgin olive oil
- Private selection pitted kalamata olives
- Mezzetta golden Greek peperoncini (sliced or whole) on the side
How to layer the ultimate Italian sub sandwich
Making these ultimate Italian sub sandwiches is quite easy. You’ll feel like you are building a magnificent tower with each layer. Get all your ingredients out and ready prior to assembly. It makes it go faster. Start the bottom layer on the soft hoagie bun with roasted peppers. Drizzle some of the extra virgin olive oil from the jar onto the peppers and bun. Next layer the meat.
After the meat, add the provolone cheese and sliced tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. The final layers are olives, torn basil leaves and arugula. Sprinkle some red wine vinegar on top of the arugula. Add the top of the bun and secure it with toothpicks. This helps hold it all together. Toothpicks are particularly important if you plan to slice the sandwiches into smaller portions for sharing. Use one toothpick per portion.
I think the ultimate Italian sub is the perfect lunch for a picnic or day out at the beach. Pair it with an icy cold drink, some potato chips and you are set.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for ultimate Italian subs. Do you have a favorite kind of sandwich? Let me know in the comments.
Happy cooking or in this case sandwich building.
Ultimate Italian sub sandwichCourse: Mediterranean dietCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
You can make this ultimate Italian sub sandwich easily at home. A soft hoagie bun is filled with Genoa salami, prosciutto, mortadella, pitted kalamata olives, roasted peppers, smoky provolone cheese, tomatoes, fresh basil and arugula.
4 six inch hoagie buns
5 oz package Genoa salami (141 g)
4 oz package sliced mortadella (140 g)
4 oz package prosciutto
roasted peppers in extra virgin olive oil
8 slices provolone cheese
2 tomatoes, sliced
pitted kalamata olives
handful fresh basil leaves, torn
handful arugula leaves
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
golden Greek peperoncini (optional on the side)
- Start the bottom layer of the sandwich with a few roasted peppers along on the hoagie bun. Drizzle some of the extra virgin olive oil from the roasted pepper jar over the peppers and bun.
- Next layer the deli meat slices, Genoa salami, prosciutto and mortadella. Next layer provolone cheese. I cut each slice in half. Add to your taste.
- Next add sliced tomatoes. Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Add pitted kalamata olives, a few torn basil leaves and arugula on top. Drizzle some red wine vinegar over the arugula.
- Add the top of the hoagie bun. Secure it with toothpicks. One on each side of the sub. Serve immediately or wrap in paper. Keep cold until ready to eat. These are delicious served with Greek peperoncini (sliced or whole) on the side.