Watermelon salad features fresh juicy watermelon, lime, basil, shallots and chevre goat cheese. It’s refreshing and delicious.
When temperatures on on the rise, I’m on the look-out for easy, healthy and refreshing recipes. This salad takes minutes to prepare and tastes amazing. It’s a sweet and savory delight.
Using fresh basil from the garden makes it extra special. I chiffonade the leaves. Simply roll the leaves in a long bundle. Then using a sharp knife, cut thin strips down the length of the bundle. You’ll end up with long thin strips without any bruising.
Cool and refreshing watermelon salad makes a great side dish for summer BBQs.
It’s hard to believe that watermelon could be a local crop in Washington. But I’ve noticed local watermelons from the Columbia Basin popping up in stores and farmers markets. Maybe you’ll see local watermelons from your area too.
I hope you are enjoying your summer. I think your family will enjoy this salad. Let me know if you try it! 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. See policy for full disclosure.
For this recipe I used Classic Chevre. It has a soft texture and very mild flavor. This cheese is great in fresh leafy green salads.
Sweet and savory. Cool and refreshing. This watermelon salad with basil and goat cheese is perfect on hot summer days.
- 3 1/2 cups watermelon (cut into bite sized pieces)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice ((about half a lime))
- zest of half a lime
- 1 tbsp shallots (diced)
- 1 pinch sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (hand torn or chiffonade)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup fresh chevre-style goat cheese
- Cut the watermelon into bite-sized pieces and place into a salad bowl.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest, shallots, salt and pepper to make a dressing. Pour the dressing over the watermelon.
- Add the basil leaves and gently toss the salad.
- Add the goat cheese and serve.